I follow the Colette blog. It's awesome. I like their styling; it's pretty awesome too. I even have the Colette Sewing Handbook, again, awesome. But still haven't sewn a thing out of it. My feeling has always been that they have a curvy fit model, and while I have curves, they are not those curves.
Until I got the Parfait pattern from Suzy, and thought, Hmm.
fabric detail: any guesses on approximate vintage?
The fabric is from a shopping weekend with my mom, dad, and youngest son a couple of weeks ago. We spent the day browsing in antique stores, and in the basement of one, I found what looked to be vintage cotton, labeled 2+ yards for $2.50. I like the colors, thought it would make a great gathered skirt, and really, for that price, why not. Just as I was leaving, though, I spied the same fabric on a garment rack. It turned out to be a half-finished smock, rather large sized and only a dollar, so I grabbed that too. I'm not above cutting facings or small pieces out of other garments. When I got home, I realized I actually had about 3 yards of approximately 36" fabric, and at least another yard in the half-finished sleeveless shirt.
Muslin for altered bodice
My muslin is pretty ugly for many reasons, but we're not getting technical on this. It fits.
I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but my dress form wears a slip. Maybe its for modesty, but more likely its because she's clothed in some funky jersey-ish material that is kind of grippy, and not all that lovely to slide dresses over. Sorry. She's also broader across the back than I am, but I have her beat in the butt area. So we're even.
If we were taking score, that is.




Sounds like your Parfait will be lovely! Sew LA has some good tutorials, I used theirs on FBAs. I've seen a lot of bloggers having to do SBAs on Colette patterns but I looked at their sizing and I will still have to do an FBA :/
ReplyDelete