So, Fall for Cotton? Done. Did I fall? Um, yes.
This cotton is so soft and drapey. Maybe it's softened with age?
I found it at an antique store a couple of weeks ago, and at a grand total of $3.50 for the lot, I went with it. This print reminds me of blueberries, and I just feel like I should be out in the garden picking fruit. Maybe barefoot, maybe not--only if the yard's been pooper-scooped recently.
Work? No, I'll just supervise.
The Facts:
Fabric: 100% cotton, vintage, 3+ yards and 35" wide; ivory cotton lawn for bodice underlining
Pattern: Colette Parfait (gifted from Suzy in swap)
Notions: 4 7/8" white buttons (new), 2 1/2" clear buttons from stash, invisible zip
Total cost: $3.50 for fabric + $4.00 for white buttons
- I did a small bust adjustment to grade down to a B-cup courtesy of Sew L.A.
- I graded from a six at the top of waistline to 8 at the bottom of the waistline, then to a 10 at the hips.
- I underlined the bodice with ivory cotton voile, then slip-stitched the facings flat to the underlining
- I did not sew buttonholes on pockets: they're not handy if they're buttoned shut
- I used bigger buttons--7/8"--and 1/2" clear ones under tabs
- I made top button hole on tab horizontal (no room for a vertical one)
- I faced the hem with a 2" wide bias strip, then top-stitched it flat--the unhemmed skirt was exactly the length I wanted, so next time I will hopefully remember to lengthen the skirt pieces.
- I could probably shorten the straps a smidge, I don't remember right now if I traced them at a six or an eight, but they could stand a little shortening
- The six-gore skirt really worked well with the narrow fabric width!
Wait. Cool enough for stockings, but no coat needed?
How clean is that desk?
And don't get me started on the Athleta catalog. I just want to live wherever it is they shoot pictures.
I think it's not just the clothes (which don't get me wrong, they're fabulous), it's the whole life. I think I'm as seduced by the backdrops as I am the actual clothes. I try to make a point to picture the clothes in my kitchen making mac and cheese, getting cough medicine at my local grocery store, or while waiting in the drive-thru as a little litmus test: is it the dress/skirt/pants/shirt I love, or is it just the imagined lifestyle?
In any case, here is how I really wear my clothes:
Standing outside in the middle of street while my kids play...
...and getting super sweet hugs and loud wet kisses.
And I'm good with that.






Oooh, such a pretty dress! And I'm totally with you on the catalog thing. No matter how much stuff I buy from catalogs, I never seem to end up glamorous, LOL!
ReplyDeleteLooks great on you! Love the fabric, I haven't found any decent fabric in ages at thrift shops/antique stores so I'm rather envious!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Suzy!
Delete