Monday, August 26, 2013

Sew Weekly Reunion Pantone Challenge

Thank you, Picmonkey!

Whew! My Sew Weekly Reunion project is complete!  I'm so glad we had a month for this instead of just a week.  I have much more appreciation for the hard work everyone did!




All apologies for the wrinkles...we're blaming wind, drinks, and a sloping driveway.


The Facts
Fabric: blouse: cotton voile, skirt: wool (from inherited stash), cotton voile scraps for facing

Notions: blouse: thread, skirt: 9" zip (from stash), lightweight interfacing, navy rayon seam binding (from stash), dark turquoise seam binding for hem (from Suzy), 2  3/4" buttons, (from stash) 

Pantone Challenge colors:



blouse: vivacious, koi, turbulence,  a smidge of acai?
skirt: I'm going with deep lichen...but maybe my skirt is a bit  more olive-y






Patterns: 
blouse: Sewaholic Pendrell (gifted by Suzy of SuzyBee Sews), modified view B, skirt: Simplicity 2475 Amazing Fit skirt, view B

Year: 
blouse: 2010
skirt: current

Time to complete:
blouse: an evening or two
skirt: a week of evenings

First worn: 
blouse: to work on Thursday 8/22
skirt:  to the Kansas City Historic Garment District Museum

Wear again? Yep! (but maybe not together)
Aside from parent/teacher meetings, our staff is fairly casual

Total cost: about 1 1/2 yards of fabric @ $6.99/yd, and skirt thread, so we'll say about $15.00.

My mom and dad and I spent Saturday with a trip to the River Market and the Kansas City Garment District Museum, followed by lunch and a trip to Bob Jones shoes.  I was so excited to finally go, and I swear I took lots of great pictures.  Unfortunately, when I got home this is all I had: 



Hmm.  I don't know why my camera ate the pictures, but I'm pretty sure my sister's laughing.  We went on a trip to Panama City together a couple of years ago, and came home with a million pictures of me, and exactly 1 picture of her feet.

I did get this great picture of my parents, though, in front of the giant needle & button statue.


Aren't they great? In solidarity, my mom wore a shirt I made for her from the Maria Denmark Day-to-Night Drape top pattern.  

Both Mom and Dad declared that the skirt was something my grandmother (my dad's mother) would have loved.  That olive-y green was her favorite color, which would explain why I had matching buttons, zipper, and fabric in my inherited stash.   It is a good color; I think it will go with pretty much everything I own.  For the blouse, I just serged the seams, but on the skirt, I kind of felt that the green wool deserved more attention, so I used bias binding on each seam and on the hem.  


In any case, my husband took some pictures for me at home that evening after dinner. 





Apparently, my kids think I'm wide enough to hide not just one, but two...


6 comments:

  1. I think this is the first "finished" post I've seen for the Sew Weekly Reunion. Well done on getting your outfit done and photographed in such good time!

    That's a great outfit, and the blouse is an amazingly good match for the pantone palette colours! And your kids are adorable- I love that they want to be in the pictures, but they don't want to be in the pictures, all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've seen a couple of finished projects, but I'm excited to have them all grouped up into one space--I think that's what I miss most about The Sew Weekly. Well, that and seeing all the different ways to interpret a theme!

      Delete
  2. Looks great on you, love the fabric and the nice finish details inside the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I debated lining it, but decided in the end to just wear a slip. : )

      Delete
  3. Fabulous outfit! I love the skirt and it's prefect with your pendrell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty! The Pendrell is such a lovely blouse. The skirt looks great and fits so nicely, too!

    ReplyDelete

No need to raise your hand to comment; we're all adults here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...