Sunday, November 1, 2015

Toy Soldier


 Whew!  

 I'd like to say that I have been sewing; I just haven't been finishing anything. 

 Literally.

  I have a vintage dress that I started in July that needs a hem, a silk blouse that needs a hem, a pair of cordory pants that got to hemming before being declared a wadder, and another pair of pants that need...well, a hem, but also a finished waistband.  

And of course, Halloween trumps all of those.  And hemming, apparently.



Fabric: cotton/nylon ripstop, (purchased on etsy)
Patterns: Oliver + S Fieldtrip Cargos & Oliver + S Sketchbook Shirt
Notions: 3/4" elastic and 1 random button for pants;
 7 buttons for shirt, plus patches from my dad's old uniform
Time to Complete: the ALCS championship and the first 3 games of the World Series


Notes:
First of all, there is probably nothing to say about either of these patterns that hasn't already been said 80 million times.  All I will say is that I sewed a size 5 in both shirt and pants, and while the shirt fits perfectly, the pants are a skoosh big.  But that's okay.  It's called growing room.
A couple of reviews noted that they added to the length in the shirt on the larger sizes, and while I didn't, and it was fine, I would definitely add to the length for my older son.

But the fabric, oh man.

First, I tried ording similar fabric from Fabric.com, but that turned out to be a cluster.
So I turned to esty, where I found the actual military fabric at half the price. (Score!)

The fabric is perfect, but I totally have to give props the army for developing fabric you can't pin.
Seriously.  My fine pins weren't strong enough to go through at an angle, and the cheap-y quilting pins were almost too thick to shove through. 

This stuff is sturdy as heck, and thanks to Elmer's glue sticks, 
my kid was super safe for trick-or-treating. 

 You know, in case of candy explosions or something.


E, after originally deciding he wasn't going trick-or-treating, 
declared pretty early on that he was just going to wear his BMX gear.

So you'd think I could go finish all those other projects now, right? Right.

Except game 5 is on upstairs right now, and I think that trumps hemming, too.

Go, Royals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No need to raise your hand to comment; we're all adults here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...