Because sea glass is incredibly prevalent in the Midwest.
Pattern: Simplicity 2215
Fabric: cotton/rayon blend for skirt, cotton lawn for lining
Notions: invisible zip, hug-snug seam binding, interfacing for waistband, 2 snaps
This is the last of the items to complete for the Wardrobe Contest on PR, and it took me awhile to stop waffling on this skirt. When I ordered this fabric, it was listed as great for tops, dresses or a even as a lining. It does have a slight sheen, but a soft hand and great drape, and I just couldn't get past wanting to use it for a skirt.
But also afraid it was a hair too thin for a skirt.
Lightbulb moment:
I realized I had some light sky blue cotton lawn that would make a nice, soft lining, that would also provide just a tiny bit of structure to those pleats.
(Did I mention I waffled on the pleats, too? I briefly thought about just gathering a skirt, but in the end decided the pleats would be more interesting.)
The lining was not a great color match, but I decided no one would really see it anyway.
The colors here are a bit muted. That blue cotton is bright.
Okay, no big deal.
Until I went to get a zipper.
Which didn't match either color.
I picked as close as I could, and decided--it's invisible, it'll be fine.
Couldn't find a great match for serger thread, either.
And at this point, opted to screw all, and used aqua hug snug to finish seams.
And that's when I realized, this skirt was full on sea glass.
Honestly, it's probably by new most favorite skirt ever.
It's soft and swishy, but not poofy. The cotton lining feels amazing.
Also, I used two medium weight snaps on the waistband.
Why haven't I done this before?
They stay snapped, and they're not nearly as fiddly as a hook and eye.
This is the best rear-view I have right now, and I'm wearing it with a top I haven't yet reviewed for the contest. Honestly, I'm still trying to decide if I like it enough as-is, or if I should take it in a bit at the sides. We'll see.
I have um, 4 days to decide?





I like it! Very cute, summery outfit!
ReplyDeletethank you!
DeleteAdorable! I would love to know where the cotton/rayon blend is from and I love the stripe shirt too! Your collection is so cute and some of my favorite colors, good luck in the contest!
ReplyDeleteThanks! The fabric is available here: http://www.moodfabrics.com/blue-turquoise-cotton-viscose-blend-303920.html
DeleteAnd it looks like they have a pretty apple green color, too!