Given my much established love of the Renfrew, it's only fitting that I branch out to other Sewaholic patterns, and honestly, there is a reason everyone loves the Cambie dress. I know I'm slow on the uptake, and I think at least half the world has made at least one of these, but this dress is amazing. It is fast, easy, looks good on everyone, and I honestly haven't seen a version of this dress that I don't love.
I had ordered the pattern a while ago, long before sundress weather, and waited for fabric inspiration to strike. When I finally saw this while cruising on fabric.com, I fell in love with it immediately. Teal, aqua, limey green, voile, big abstract-y floral print? It's my bag, baby. And when it arrived? Soooo dreamy and soft. It's a pattern/fabric match made in heaven, and I knew it would be the perfect summer dress for baby showers and outdoor weddings.
Fabric: Joel Dewberry Notting Hill cotton voile, (here), ivory cotton lawn for lining
Pattern: Sewaholic Cambie
Notions: 22" zip
Time to complete: 2-3 evenings, including tracing the pattern
I wore this at the beginning of June for a sweet baby shower, followed by a family reunion. The day was hot and muggy, as only Missouri summer can be. This dress was so light and airy, though; the cotton was so breathable, and it didn't stick at all. I will definitely be making more of these, especially with the same fabric combination. Maybe with the a-line skirt though, for a less-frilly version for work.
I honestly don't know what more to say about this pattern, that hasn't already been emblazoned across the web, so I'll just include more pictures.
Action shot
Not too poofy skirt.
Skirt pockets in lining fabric. They are awesome...but surprisingly tricky to locate at times.
Matching Hug-Snug seam binding for lining hem, just because I could.
Inside of dress. I underlined the bodice in the same cotton lawn, then lined in the fashion fabric. I was slightly worried it might show if the neckline gaped a bit, had enough yardage left over, and honestly, who wouldn't want cotton voile against the skin?
Inside view of lining attached to the zipper. Pretty neatly finished, woot woot!
Gratuitous shoe pic
I've also been seduced lately by the Lonsdale dress, and have that coming up soon, after I finish more shorts. I dominated a new pair of denim shorts I'll post soon, and took a break from sewing for myself to fix my niece's camp swimsuit, and finish some promised projects for others.
E has been busy brewing up Halloween plans already, so in addition to my own plans, my dance card is getting full. : )
I already knew I had problems with finding an author I like, then glomming on to and reading their entire back-list, but it now seems like I might do this with patterns, too.
Anybody else prone to glomming onto entire pattern lines?





No comments:
Post a Comment
No need to raise your hand to comment; we're all adults here.